12 March 2023 |

Cardiff Met defeat Cardiff City to lift Genero Adran Trophy

2023-03-12 Cardiff Met Women v Cardiff City Women 86.jpg

Cardiff Met retained the Genero Adran Trophy as they defeated Cardiff City for the second consecutive final.

A first half brace by attacker Erin Murray and a late strike by Ellie Preece earned victory for the Archers despite Siobhan Walsh adding pressure with a second half penalty. 

It was the first time Cardiff City have been defeated this season, as their 23-game undefeated run across all domestic competitions this campaign came to an end. 

City’s Megan Bowen’s strike from outside of the box was the first on target of the afternoon, but Amelia Forkings was on hand to push the ball out for a corner. Captain Walsh then headed wide from the resulting corner. 

The deadlock was then broken as Murray converted from the penalty spot in the 16th minute. Ceryn Chamberlain thought she had saved the attempt, but the ball squirmed under her and bounced over the line. 

The Bluebirds nearly answered back immediately as Ffion Price’s cross from the right found Danielle Green at the back post, but her volleyed attempt bounced narrowly wide. 

Met’s lead was doubled in the 24th minute as Robyn Pinder’s ball down the right-hand side found a mazy Preece who dribbled into space in the box before crossing across the face of goal to Murray who tapped the ball into the back of the net.

Cymru U19s forward Phoebie Poole came close to grabbing one back as she tested Forkings with a well-hit free kick from range, but the goalkeeper parried the ball out for a corner. 

Walsh denied Met from adding a third before the hour mark as Preece dribbled past Chamberlain before Walsh recovered with a heroic sliding tackle. Green had an opportunity to halve the deficit as her curling attempt from the left-hand side was saved by Forkings. 

Minutes later, Walsh stepped up once again she thundered a penalty straight down the middle to give her side hope in the final 20 minutes. 

Tija Richardson denied City an opportunity to equalise with a last-ditch sliding tackle preventing Lily Billingham to go one-on-one. 

Preece turned from provider to finisher as she capitalised on a defensive mistake before firing an attempt past Chamberlain to regain Met’s two-goal cushion in the 77th minute. 

Poole came close once again as she met Price’s cross with a header that flew just wide of the near post and substitute Eliza Collie forced a great save out of Forkings as the former fired on target after being played through by Poole. 

Despite late City pressure, Met managed to hold onto their lead to lift the trophy for the fifth time – more times than any other club. 

Cardiff Met: Forkings, Pinder, Davidson, Corne, Turner, Hancocks, Webb, Richardson, Murray, Allen, Preece

Goals: Murray (16, 24), Preece (77)

Cardiff City: Chamberlain, Price, Power, Walsh, Oakley, Watkins, Broadhurst, Green, Poole, Bowen (Collie, 86'), Billingham (Atkins, 77')

Goals: Walsh (68)