6 December 2021 |

Aberystwyth hold league leaders Swansea to goalless draw

2021-11-21 Aberystwyth Women v Pontypridd Town Women-26 (1).jpg

There were some key results at both ends of the table in the Genero Adran Premier this weekend.

The story of Sunday’s fixtures has to be Aberystwyth Town’s fantastic defensive effort against Swansea City.

Gavin Allen’s side deserve immense credit for keeping the back-to-back champions at bay to earn a 0-0 draw.

The result is the first time the Swans have dropped points this season, now holding a four-point lead at the top of the table.

Aberystwyth strengthen their grip on fourth spot, leading Pontypridd Town by three points with one more game for both sides before the split.

Fern Burrage-Male’s Mighty Dragons were in search of a big result in the top four race, but came up against a strong Cardiff City side.

The Bluebirds were outstanding, with Ffion Price’s stunning long-range effort, along with Catherine Walsh’s strike and a brace from Danielle Green giving them a 4-0 victory.

After a professional away performance, Iain Darbyshire’s side have reduced the gap between them and the league leaders to four points.

Having recorded back-to-back victories, City head into a massive game against Cardiff Met next week with momentum.

Met will also head into the contest with confidence after they secured an emphatic 7-1 win over Barry Town United.

Laura-May Walkley, Olivia Thompson and Ellie Preece all got on the scoresheet in an impressive first-half performance that put the Archers in the ascendancy.

Megan Bowen gave the Linnets hope early in the second period, but Thompson’s second goal, along with a strike from Lauren Hutton-Townsend and Elianna Chavez’s late brace secured a resounding victory.

After some encouraging performances in recent weeks, this weekend’s fixture against Port Talbot was a huge one for The New Saints.

Despite Lexie Harrison having her penalty saved by Emily Roberts in the first half, Caitlin Chapman finished well to give the Saints the lead.

Harrison reacted well to missing out from the penalty spot, as she netted on the stroke of half time to double the advantage.

The Saints continued to impress in the second period to secure a vital three points, which takes them up to seventh, while Port Talbot remain fifth.